20110519

Turning Point

Today, right at this moment, marks a crucial turning point in my life.

I accepted a scholarship from Sakae Holdings, a decision driven very strongly by future plans from Sakae to diversify into the pastry industry. Joining them, I will be given a chance to become a patisserie and play a significant role in shaping their pastry business, should I want to.

At this juncture, I had to say no to RE&S group. Though I initially showed the keenest interest in them, and it was really difficult to let go, but I knew that if I let go of the chance to leapfrog into the pastry business, I can never live with myself.

I guess I have pretty much decided my career, one intertwined strongly with F&B. At 19, this is a scary thought. Because in the past few months, I have found how drastically decisions can swing.

So NTU accountacy and business double degree, a choice I didn't even consider until the last week of university applications. But I guess such an academic choice will greatly aid me in my dream of having my own business in the future.

In the past few months, I made many significant decisions:

1) I could not envision myself working in the public sector, at least not now. So that ruled out any overseas scholarship to head for UCL.

2) I wanted a professional degree, but not Law, so I didn't even go for the interview.

3) The UCL degree suddenly didn't make sense, because Economics was not a profession. And while I love the subject, I wanted a profession, a skill, something concrete that I could fall back upon.

4) Bonds are scary. Unless absolutely certain about your direction, or university fees are too heavy to handle, do not go for bonds.

5) I rejected the Nanyang Scholarship from NTU, a bond-free one, for the Sakae scholarship.

6) Being the first and only scholar, in this pilot programme, Sakae Scholarship seems to be one that will likely open up immense opportunities for me.

I have no regrets, I feel like I made all the right choices, but why am I still so afraid?

But you know what, life's too short to blend in. :)


No comments: